Skowkale First Nation is governed under a Family Representative system. With four (4) main families, there is one (1) Councillor selected through a nomination and election process for each family. At a nomination meeting, if only one member is nominated to represent a family, they are elected by acclamation. However, if more than one member is nominated to represent a family, the names go on a ballot for the entire electorate to help select the representative.
The Chief is selected via a nomination and election process to represent the community as a whole, and does so with the guidance of the people and councillors.
The 2017-2022 Council Team is comprised of:
Chief Mark Point
Councillor Dustin Hall
Councillor Derek Hansom
Councillor Darcy Paul
Councillor Tiffany Silver
Skowkale First Nation has full jurisdiction and control over the lands located within their reserves. This provides the authority to create and enforce land laws. Skowkale continues to develop laws to govern its lands, in conjunction with the S.A.Y. Lands Office.
Laws to date include:
- Sq'ewqeyl Covid Emergency Protection Law
- Skowkale Vacant & Dangerous Building Law
- Skowkale Community Quality Law
- Skowkale Business Permit Law
- Skowkale Subdivision, Development & Servicing Law
- Skowkale Dog Licensing & Animal Management Law
- Skowkale Enforcement & Ticketing Law
- Skowkale Zoning Law
- Skowkale Environmental Protection Law
- Skowkale Property Transfer Tax Law
- Skowkale Certificate of Possession Law (members only)
- Skowkale Spousal Property Law (members only)
Laws in development:
For more information, please click here.